Right of Abode

A certificate of entitlement to the Right of Abode allows the holder to enter the UK without immigration control and affords them the right to live and work in the UK indefinitely, without any restrictions. The certificate of Entitlement is valid for the life of your passport; on each occasion you replace it you must demonstrate you meet the requirements before obtaining a new one.

How do I qualify?

You will qualify if;

  • You were born, adopted, naturalised or registered in the UK (with some exceptions); or
  • You are a Commonwealth citizen; and
  • You were born before 01/01/1983 to a parent was born adopted, naturalised or registered in the UK; or
  • You were married to a person before 01/01/1983 that had Right of Abode.

All British citizens have the right of abode in the UK. You will not however qualify for a certificate of entitlement, if you also hold a valid British passport or a valid national identity card describing you as a British citizen.

Need more information?

For further assistance and advice Contact ivisas- click here