UK Ancestry

This visa continues to be a route for New Zealand and Australian nationals (Commonwealth Nationals) to enter the UK to live and work for up to 5 years.

If your grandparents were born in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for this visa.

How do I qualify?

You will need to show that:-

  • You are a Commonwealth Citizen aged 17 or over;
  • One of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man; or was born the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922;
  • You intend to and are able work in the UK and can support yourself and any dependants.

You will need to provide original documents to support your application and evidence that you have enough money to support yourself until you find work in the UK.


Your dependants including your spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner and children can apply for a visa to accompany or join you in the UK. As the main applicant you will have to evidence your relationship and demonstrate that you can maintain and accommodate any accompanying dependants.

How can ivisas help? 

ivisas make a habit of obtaining UK visas for our clients. 

We can also obtain UK & NZ birth certificates on your behalf 

For further information and assistance regarding this visa please contact ivisas

* Subject to published terms & conditions

Other points to consider

This visa allows you to work in the UK for up to 5 years with the option of applying for residence, should you decide to settle in the UK.

There is no restriction on the number of times you can apply for this visa in your lifetime, as long as you meet the requirements. You will however need to demonstrate you meet all the requirements on each occasion.